Wednesday 5 August 2015

Life After Graduation: Hire Me!

I thought I would write a blog post about what happens once you have finished University as not many people really tell you what to expect. 
I stayed at home with my family whilst studying my degree, which meant that I didn't have the stress or upset of leaving housemates behind. That's not to say that I won't miss the girls who I spent every day at Uni with, because I will! I know a few of my friends found it difficult saying goodbye to those people that they had lived with and studied with, but don't fret! Although you won't be with them day in day out like you used to be, you will make the effort to keep in contact, and will continue to meet up for gossipy dinners and crazy nights out.
Even though I was in the comfort of my own home I still had this very strange feeling inside of me. "What now?" I kept asking myself. It sounds strange but I felt completely lost and useless. I almost felt guilty sitting at home not doing much. I'd normally be working on Uni reports or presentations but now I was slouching on the sofa watching daytime TV thinking to myself "I can't handle watching Jeremy Kyle for much longer, I need a job!" 

Luckily I had a part time job and took lots of overtime on which helped keep me occupied and made me feel like I actually had a purpose. While I was grateful for this job and loved the people I worked with, I knew that I had to start applying for full time positions which would help kick start my career in the industry that I have always wanted to get into. The jobs were not going to come to me!
So, that's exactly what I did. I had a few knock backs along the way, which is to be expected! It's a highly competitive market out there! Don't be disheartened if your job application gets turned down. Keep your head up, stay positive, and apply for lots more. 

Whilst at lunch one day I received a phone call from a company that I had applied to. I was so happy that someone thought my CV was good enough to consider. They invited me to meet with them for an interview which I was very excited about but obviously very nervous about too!

If you get an interview, well done to you! This is the first step. As nervous as you may feel, there are steps you should take to help relieve this feeling. 
  • First, make sure you Google Maps where the interview is being held. Plan your journey in advance. Don't leave it until the morning of the interview as this will make you more anxious. 
  • Look up typical interview questions on the Internet and make sure you have a solid answer for each one. Within your answers make sure your skills and knowledge are being demonstrated. Try to also link answers to the role you are applying for. 
  • Research the company and have questions ready! This is so important. By researching the company and asking questions shows that you are passionate about the role that you're applying for. 

On the day of the interview make sure you: 

  • Dress appropriately (no shorts or flip flops!) 
  • Remain calm 
  • Greet them with a firm handshake, keep eye contact and smileeeee :)
  • Speak clearly and slowly 
  • Be aware of your body language. If you sit with your arms folded they may feel that you are uncomfortable in the situation you're in or have something to hide. 

Phew! You made it through the interview. Try not to think about it too much now. What's done is done, there's nothing else you can do. The company will contact you to tell you how you did and whether you have the job or not. It's important to take on any constructive criticism. 


If they offer you the position, great news! Well done! If they don't, that is completely fine too. You did your best and that is all you can do. Ask for feedback on how you could improve next time. Again don't be disheartened, keep applying for other roles and practice for future interviews, there will be more I promise. 
I am pleased to say that the company that I applied to, offered me the position and I am looking forward to starting my new job next week! :) 
So, to summarise... When you've completed Uni you may feel lost, upset, confused and depressed. That is completely OK. They are all normal feelings. It might be a good idea to take a break before applying for jobs to avoid feeling completely overwhelmed. 

I'd like to finish by saying Good Luck with any jobs you apply for! If you really want something it is only YOU who can make it happen. So, go out and chase your dreams!

All photos in this post were sourced from articles that you may find useful too. Just give them a click! 

If you enjoyed this post or would like to share the feelings you had once you left uni or you would like to share the experiences you had when applying for your first job, please comment below :) 

2 comments:

  1. I've graudated two years ago, then went to New York for a few months. It took me 10 months to get a permanent job. It takes time but every interview is a learning experience. Good luck with the hunt!

    Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree that every interview is a learning experience! New York must have been a great experience too :)

      Delete